Pages

Monday, February 6, 2012

Learning Worship from Idolators

This article is based on an interesting premise: that we can learn something about worship by studying idolaters. In this case, the author looks at the idolatry of the sports fanatic.

I’ve been thinking about a series of posts called “Learning Worship from the Idolators” for quite some time now. But today I couldn’t delay it any longer because this just landed in my inbox:

Our Brady, who art in Foxborough, hallowed be thy arm.
Thy bowl will come, it will be won, in Indy as it is in New England.
Give us these two weeks, our daily practices, and give us many touchdown passes, but do not let the Giants pass against us.
Lead us not into frustration, but deliver us to the valley of the sun.
For thine is the MVP, the best of the AFC, and the glory of the Patriots, now and forever, AMEN

(For those who don’t follow American football, the Superbowl – the championship game – is coming this weekend. The Patriots, led by Tom Brady, will trounce are playing against the Giants.)

I am simultaneously encouraged by the latent biblical literacy implied by this chain email and horrified at the blasphemy.

Frankly, they worship better than we do.

When was the last time you saw a church devoted as Pittsburg Steelers fans? Or as invested as a “helicopter parent”? To put it quite bluntly, Christians suck at lifestyles of worship. Sure, we have pretty songs and ”relevant” worship services. But our lives don’t reflect a passion for our God like idolators reflect their idols.


What this post isn’t: I am not going to start condemning idolatry of sports. It’s obviously sinful and it’s covered well all over the internet.

What this post is: Humans worship… something. If it isn’t God it’s something else. That means thateveryone everywhere can teach us something about how to worship. I want to explore what the Church can learn about worship from the habits of unapologetic idolaters.

So what can we learn from sports idolaters?

Fan means Fanatic

Fan means Fanatic

The Idolatry

You know this person.

Everyone he meets knows about his love for The Team.

He isn’t just a fan. He is a fanatic.

He can make any conversation - regardless of its content or context - relate to The Team. He can make any interaction become a praise to The Player. The conversations he starts are about The Game.

What We Can Ask Ourselves

Do people even know I’m a Christian?

What do I continually “relate back to”?

Am I looking for ways to insert/connect the gospel into conversation?

Do I connect the events of my life back to God, His will and His glory?

Let me look like my hero.

The Idolatry

We wear their jerseys.

We buy the products they endorse.

We watch television shows breaking down every angle of their play.

We want to know the details of their personal lives.

What We Can Ask Ourselves

Looking like Jesus is called sanctification. It’s not about physical appearance – it’s about hungering and thirsting after righteousness.

Do I want to look like God more and more?

Do I spend my resources on things which glorify Him?

Do I dig into God’s “playbook” as much as I do the New England Patriots’ play calls?

Broken Dreams

The Idolatry

Major sporting events have an impact on a region’s stock exchange habits. (Seriously, my father researched this for his Ph.D dissertation.)

Riots break out in cities that lose the big game.

We throw parades for championship winning teams.

The President of the United States invites the champions to the White House.

What We Can Ask Ourselves

What in my life has the ability to affect the way I make financial decisions?

What makes me sad? Excited? Is the gospel on that list? Is evangelism on that list?

At the end of a bad day, what do I comfort myself with saying, “At least I have ______.”

A Heritage for Future Generations

The Idolatry

We teach our children those things we hold most sacred. If we value ourselves, we neglect them. If we value grades, we tutor them. If we value sports, we indoctrinate them.

What We Can Ask Ourselves

What am I teaching my children? The children in my community? My church?

It’s easy to condemn sports altogether. I’d caution against it.

We can use sports for entertainment, healthy competition, exercise and evangelism. The key is to remember that God gave us sports for our good and God is the real blessing – not sports.

No comments: